Wednesday 29 November 2017

In the Grand Manner Part Three.

Part three of the series is as informative to me now, as when the article was written back in 1970. If one were to examine various images of wargames from that era and compare them with Gilder's Waterloo terrain the difference is startling. Textured and realistic terrain with well painted, for then, figures. If one has the Miniature Warfare magazine for 1970, the main topic under discussion was the 50% rule, a spurious argument about how to handle the morale of a wargames unit when it reaches 50%. Meanwhile Peter Gilder was sculpting lovely figures and making eye catching terrain that grabbed the imagination of the public. Who remembers the rule argument? Probably no one now, it was that trivial. But who remembers the first time they saw images of Peter Gilder's wargames layouts, or the first coloured photographs in the first issue of Miniature Wargames. The man was way ahead of his time regarding how to present a wargame.  



 Frankly, one would struggle to see this standard of wargaming table, even now. It does exist, but the vast majority of gamers have opted for practicality over presentation.

4 comments:

  1. I remember these articles so well and the inspiration they gave me. Indeed when I look at the photos etc. I still get that same feeling of how magnificent it all looked - what times they were.
    I just wish I could get my hands on a sew of the Miniature Warfare mags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily I was thinking of you when I was thumbing through my magazines. I now only possess the first three years. I somehow lost my large collection of Miniature Warfares in my last house move. I only stopped crying last year. I dont mind 'lending ' you the set if you want to read them.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you entirely - ahead of his time but we didn't really realise it then! Yes I remember the 50% rule argument; it seemed a big deal at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty meaningless now Chris. A bit like the controversy about the Thracian Rhomphia.

      Delete